Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What IF?

Do you ever ask yourself “what if?’ The problem with this question is it tends to ponder variables that are usually outside of our control or choices we make at a particular time in history. We humans are not perfect and we tend to make mistakes. It’s ok to have a personal debrief after any event in your life. Use the debrief as a time to learn but do not to ponder on things that are not. I live with a few simple rules that I will share:

The first 2 rules are rules we have heard before. 1. “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff “ #2 It’s all Small Stuff! What you are experiencing today in the grand scheme of things will be smaller as time goes on. It might seem huge today but will be forgotten next week. Present time is miniscule when compared to eternity. Learn from the small stuff and let this time train you so that you may empathetically counsel others in the future and you will be better equipped to handle new challenges. Learn but don’t be a victim.

The last set of rules are just as simple: #3 only worry about thing you can control and #4 Don’t worry about things you can’t control. I can only control my variables .. How I act, react, what I say and what I do but I can not control what you or someone else says, does, or thinks. We can’t control the weather so why would I want to go outside in the middle of a storm. If you lost your job because of economic down turns don’t worry about the things you can’t control, like perhaps the number of candidates applying for the next position. What you can control is your attitude, your drive, your conviction, your passion. Set yourself apart and remember there are too many victims out there don’t become the next.

Parting thoughts: Give your worries to your Maker and look inside for changes you and only you can make. Learn from our past, and if we don’t, a wise person once said we are doomed to repeat it. Help others, love other and work internally on being the best you can be. There are some what if question you could ask yourself: What if you see yourself as a strong, sensible, lovable and appreciative person that was created to succeed? What if you gave thanks for your success? What if I take charge in my life? What if I embrace the new and look for ways to change the world? It all starts with you… Go out and make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment