Monday, November 22, 2010

EGR

We all have had those annoying people in our life, usually in meetings, that asks questions or evangelize things we frankly think are dumb. We call on our professional etiquette for patience and tolerance.

I recall one such meeting and one such associate. I had just read Rick Warren’s “Purpose Driven Life”. I was in a hotel meeting room in Chicago late in the second day of an all day meeting. As we were getting ready to be dismissed, an associate who fits the profile above raised his hand. The only thing separating our 50(+) member team from a night of indulgence was this associate’s, seemingly unimportant, clarifying questions. I got up and walked towards the back of the room to stretch and was confronted by another fellow associate who, like most, was annoyed by this person. That is when I had an epiphany! I whispered to this upset associate the letters “EGR”. The upset associate asked “EGR”?
I explained what I read in the “Purpose Driven Life” about EGR’s (Extra Grace Required). While explaining, I realized that some might or could even be saying the same about me. I told this colleague that we should learn how to get along now as we might be spending eternity with this person and others like them.

That night, I wanted to practice what I explained earlier so I sat by the annoying associate and began to find interesting things about this person. We became friends and chose to work with each other on certain projects. This diversity and synergy strengthened our team and our organization.

Before you start looking at the faults with others, look for the areas you fall short. Remember that we all fall under the category of EGR’s.

Great Days don’t just happen - Make it a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment